8.27.2011

Relationships 101

this week 
restoration 
has been very much in and on my heart.
it's something so simple yet an important heart matter i often disregard.
maybe someone can relate: 
you have a relationship where you know things need to be said but you can't find the words to say it . . .the ones where you either need to confront or apologize, yet your pride gets in the way.

i had that experience this week. by God's grace and Holy Spirit alone was I able to have that conversation. what if I hadn't tried to submit my feelings to the Lord beforehand? I can assure you things would have continued to deteriorate. as i rehearsed the conversation in my mind, i always began it by accusing the other. 
needless to say, i am thankful for the lesson of humility.

Friends:
don't let a grudge or words said in the past have a hold on you. 
allow Love to overcome the anger and hurt. 
allow you heart to be changed, to become humble.
the alternative is just.not.worth.it.
"why put off tomorrow what you can do today!"
our lives on earth are but a fleeting mist compared to Eternity. . . 

which then leads me to my next point:
 the importance of having those solid relationships that help point out the areas of our lives we struggle in and need to work on.
(in a loving way, of course.)
this topic has also been on my mind as of late.

in college I had an accountability partner.
one of my dear friends, jenna, asked me to enter into this relationship with her during our last year at PBA. 
Each week we would discuss & pray through the challenges we face in trying to live a Christlike life including our goals and relationship issues (we were both engaged at the time). 
It was a blessing to have that kind of accountability at the time and I am saddened to tell you it's something I haven't kept up with 100% since jenna & i departed from one another 4 years ago. 


if i can say one more thing and then i'll step off my soapbox, it's this:
ladies and gents alike, 
get an accountability partner.
they are essential and worth the time & effort.

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
James 5:16
jenna & i on my wedding day
photo courtesy of robert madrid

we'd love to hear of any experiences you may have in these areas!
xoxo Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment